Born in Yorkshire, England in 1852, Richard Sharp Smith came to Asheville in 1889 as the supervising architect of Biltmore House, established a private practice in 1895, and became one of the city's most prolific and influential architects during the first two decades of the 20th century. In his architectural practice—both individually and in partnership with Albert Carrier—Smith designed a variety of buildings from major public edifices to domestic additions and outbuildings, and he worked in a wide range of styles including Tudor Revival, Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, and Craftsman modes. In the period from 1900 to 1920, Smith was responsible for virtually every major structure in downtown Asheville. He helped to define the character of the city in his time, and he designed many houses in suburban Asheville neighborhoods such as Montford, Albemarle Park, Chestnut Hill, and Grove Park and several public buildings and structures such as the Vance Monument, the Young Men’s Institute, and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. (Architects & Builders, NCSU)
After Bradford Gilbert died in 1911 and then William Green Raoul died in 1913, Albemarle Park Company began to sell off lots to individuals. Smith was commissioned by three of those new owners for Breezemont cottage, Chipmunk cottage and Twin Oaks apartment building.
Breezemont cottage under construction
The Albemarle Park~Manor Grounds Association, Inc. is a 501(c)(3), federally designated, tax-exempt, nonprofit organization.
Post Office Box 2231, Asheville, North Carolina 28802-2231